Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Working Abroad-- Kaylie's experience in London

 



When I first stepped off the plane and had to take a train to the main part of the airport, something I have never had to do before, I knew that I was no longer in a midsized city in Ohio. Being in London for two weeks has been amazing and has been so eye-opening as to what is out there beyond my hometown and the community of Marietta College.

With this being my first time out of the country I was not too sure as to what to expect from the British people. I had heard plenty of stereotypes of them being mean and rude but so far all I have noticed is that everyone just minds their own business and is worried about themselves. I knew that I would be having to rely on public transportation a lot for pretty much everything and at first it was super fun to ride the tube since we don’t have anything like this back at home or in Marietta but once you have to ride it for over an hour to work, it loses that glamour bit to it. 

Before I came, I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of articles about things to do in London because I was so worried that I would not know what I want to do or I would miss out on something cool but there is constantly so much happening that you can find something to do no matter what. If you’re feeling like walking through a market there’s at least a handful to pick from, if you feel like going to a park to read there’s more than you can count on your hands and feet, or if you feel like going to a museum, you can pick from the various FREE, yes that’s right FREE museums.

I truly thought that the British peoples' fascination with tea was just made up until I recently started working and every time someone walked out of the room into the kitchen I was asked if I wanted a cup of tea. I am not usually a tea drinker, but I have a few cups here and I can say that it is decent tea. Although I still have a list of foods that I have to work my way through trying, I can successfully cross off “have a cup of tea”. To go along with trying new foods, since London is so diverse there are so many different kinds of food that I am excited to try and can’t wait to experience further down the road!

So far in my two weeks of being here, London has been great. It is nothing like home, but I am learning to enjoy that and not resist it. I am very excited for what's to come and I can't wait to see where I go and how the rest of my time here plays out. I am looking forward to starting my internship and learning how I can be a helping hand to Middlesex FA. Although I am only here for 8 weeks, I know I am going to do my absolute best to make the most out of these 8 weeks. For now, I have 2 more days of work and then 1 class standing between me and my flight to Paris for a weekend holiday!

 

Cheers,

 

Kaylie Ward 

No comments:

Post a Comment