Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Glimpsing Seoul from my window

I am finally out of my two week quarantine and I have began exploring Seoul! Three words to describe my first impression of the city would be cultural, picturesque, and bustling. So far I have tried: japchae, bibim naengmyeon, and Korean BBQ! My culture shock moment was getting on the subway for the first time, as a lot of older Koreans stare since they don’t see many foreigners, and the subway is also very quiet because nobody wants to disturb others! Most people are on their phones listening to music, playing games, or reading. Talking louder than a whisper is almost frowned upon in Korean subway etiquette. 


So far in my classes I have learned a lot about Korea and the culture here! I am enjoying my Korean language class the most, but I am also taking a linguistics and a political science class that are very interesting. I don’t know very much about the Korean language aside from what I have learned this Summer, or I have taught myself. I have been forced to put myself in positions where I must use my skills. I was very nervous about ordering food or shopping, but I recently went to a city where there was not much English spoke. Since coming back to Seoul, I have felt much more confident ordering and going places. I have also finally gotten used to the subway here, as I have never used public transportation until this trip. Marietta is a small town and I have always lived locally, so this was something very new to me at first. It did take me some time to adjust, but it is only getting better, so I am sad I will be returning home next week.

Alexis






 Hello everyone!

My name is Alexis Scadden, and I am a senior who is studying international business and international leadership with a minor in political science. This summer I am studying at Korea University in Seoul, South Korea. I am currently taking 3 classes: a Korean Language Class, Introduction to Korean Politics, and Language, Culture, and Society in Korea. So far, they are going well, and my professors have all been very friendly and welcoming. In one of my classes, you must sing a song if you are late, (which may sound like a joke), but so far it has happened to several students (I make sure to wake up early for this class). 


It took nearly 18 hours of flying and going through a lot of COVID protocols to get here. I will admit that the 12-hour time difference was very difficult to adjust too, as I am still adjusting while trying to communicate with friends and family back home. South Korea is very strict when dealing with COVID, as when you are in quarantine you must check in and log your temperature and other symptoms twice a day, and the quarantine is mandatory even if you are vaccinated. This made the process at Incheon Airport very long as we had a lot of papers that we were required to fill out, and about 3 or 4 different stations to stop at before we made it out of the airport. 

I am still in quarantine for another 5 days, so the only bit of the city I have gotten to experience is the ride from the airport to my hotel, and another ride from my hotel to a COVID testing center and back. I am so excited to get out of quarantine because we passed so many small shops, restaurants, and cafes that I am very excited to go to; I have already accumulated plans for almost every free day I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment