Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Introducing Aurora in Florence, Italy

 

Ciao! I’ve been in the beautiful country of Italy for little less than a week now and it has already been a wild ride with ups, downs, and everything in between. One of my biggest concerns leaving for this trip was making friends and developing a social life which turned out to not be an issue whatsoever. Before I even arrived in Florence, I met girls that were a part of the same program on my flight from Amsterdam to Florence. Since then, I have bonded with my roommates and other people in the program who will definitely be lifelong friends. These first few days have been overwhelming to say the least. The biggest lifestyle change I have had to adjust to is the amount of walking required to get around Florence. Going from little to none physical activity to averaging 15,000 steps a day has taken a toll on my body, especially my feet. I’ve had a lifelong history of issues with my feet but with a few scheduled breaks and lots of American Motrin, I’ve been able to manage my pain. If I can do it, anyone can. Walking around the city is also one of the scariest things I’ve had to do so far; the cars do not stop for pedestrians and you have to step out into the middle of the road to stop traffic and get across the road. 

My absolute favorite aspect of Italy has been the food. The quality of food is so much better than back in the states. I never feel bloated after eating no matter how much I eat, including gelato. Living in Florence feels like being thrown into a time machine set for the Renaissance. The buildings and architecture are unlike anything I’ve seen before. The most notable building in Florence is The Duomo, a church built in the 14th century. While the architecture is stunning, I didn’t realize there would be a lack of grass and greenery in the city. The city is built so close together that there isn’t room in the city for the simple nature I’m used to besides in gated gardens that require tickets for entry. 

The apartment I’ve been placed in is actually outside the city center which is inconvenient when needing to meet for program activities, however, there’s less tourists on my side of town which makes it feel homier. Another issue I’ve had to adjust to is the lack of energy usage we’re allowed to use in the apartment. While I was lucky enough to have an apartment with air conditioning, it’s illegal to have the A/C on when the temperature is below 77 degrees Fahrenheit and also cannot be on for more than 12 hours continuously. Additionally, large appliances cannot be used at the same time such as the oven and washing machine. All these things seem like a major inconvenience to me, but to Italians it’s normal and a way to conserve energy. This weekend, we are staying in Venice and exploring the Venetian Islands as well as Verona. So far, Venice has been completely different than Florence but feels more like home to me because of the water and boats (since I’m from Florida). 

Classes start Monday and I’ll be taking a cooking class from 4:15-6:45pm. First impressions overall are the city and country are beautiful but there’s a lot for me to adjust to in order to adapt to the culture properly. I look forward to what’s next to come throughout the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment